Tuesday 26 July 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent

This detergent has many good qualities: It is all natural, environmentally friendly, non-perfume, and economical.  Homemade laundry detergent is easier to make than you would think.  It only takes me 10 minutes to make!  I make a batch about every 2 months, for a family of 4.    It is a liquid gel, so it dissolves well in my wash. I found all of the ingredients at WalMart.  Total cost $14!
 (which includes a multipack of ivory soap)  These ingredients will last the average family a year! 
This recipe can be adjusted to suit your needs.
You will need the following:
(or Naptha or Sunlight Bar soap)
Borax:  1/2 cup










Basic Laundry Detergent

Hot water
1 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax
1 Soap bar
■Grate the bar soap and add to a large saucepan with hot water. Stir over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.













■Fill a 5 gallon pail half full of hot water. Add the melted soap, Borax and Washing soda, stir well until all powder is dissolved.


Top the pail up with more hot water.
Let cool overnight (to gel), stir well and transfer to old laundry detergent bottles.
■Use 1/2 cup per load, stirring soap before each use (will gel). (I just use the lid of the detergent bottle, full - it is usually close to 1/2 cup)

Optional:

You can add between 10 to 15 drops of essential oil (per 2 gallons) to your homemade laundry detergent. Add once the soap has cooled to room temperature. Stir well and cover.
Essential oil ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil

Powdered Laundry Detergent

2 cups Fels Naptha Soap (finely grated – you could also try the other bar soaps listed at the top)
1 cup Washing Soda
1 cup Borax
■Mix well and store in an airtight plastic container.
■Use 2 tablespoons per full load.

3 comments:

  1. I just tried this myself last week, I did the dry recipe and I think it works just as good as store bought.
    I'm sold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do prefer the Sunlight Bar soap, rather than the others in this recipe. It makes the clothes smell nice, and seems to clean better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized I have been using homemade laundry detergent for over 5 years!! I think I have saved about $900, but it is hard to know for sure! I do use a booster for my whites though.

    ReplyDelete